Sjekk private meldinger
Fjordhest.net Forum Hovedsiden » Fjordhorse in English

Start Nytt Tema   Svar på Tema
Stables
Vis Forrige Tema :: Vis Neste Tema  
Av Innlegg
Freddi

Ble Medlem: 22 Okt 2006

InnleggSkrevet: Onsdag 01 November 2006 - 17:02    Tittel: Stables Svar med Sitat

Now I have to ask for a word. Unfortunately I don't know the english word, too.
In german it's "Offenstall", that would be "open stable" in english.
It is not a stables with boxes, but with a shelter that is only closed on 2 to 3 sides on a paddock, where the horses live in groups and can go in and out as they like. Do you know, what I mean?

So here's my question to this "Offenställen": Wink

In this thread http://fjordhest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602 I just read about stables with boxes (maybe I just didn't get everything right Rolling Eyes ).
And as I went to Norway this summer, I principal saw bigger stables and just one "Offenstall".
Is it more common in Norway to keep the horse in a stable with boxes or do you also have many of these "Offenställe"?
Til Toppen
Vis Medlemmets Profil Send Privat Melding Besøk Medlemmets Nettside
MariYr

Ble Medlem: 04 Mar 2006

InnleggSkrevet: Onsdag 01 November 2006 - 17:57    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

"Løsdrift" or "Utegang" maybe?
Til Toppen
Vis Medlemmets Profil Send Privat Melding
Vilde

Ble Medlem: 06 Mar 2006

InnleggSkrevet: Onsdag 01 November 2006 - 21:48    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

It´s not so common with offestall (or "løsdrift") here in Norway mainly because of the harsh winters. But of course, you see it "here and there". I don´t think that a fjord will suffer from "løsdrift", and I know several that keeps the fjords outside all winter, but I myself tends to freeze so I like to Keep my horse indoor at least at night.

I dont´t know if this made it any clearer for you? I see that my english is pretty "rusty", but I don´t even want to think about mye german has turned out Smile But I think you understand norwegian very well. As been said earlier, norwegian and german are really pretty like. At least many words.
Til Toppen
Freddi

InnleggSkrevet: Torsdag 02 November 2006 - 1:30    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

Aaaah, that's the word I'm looking for! Thank you both!

@ Vilde
I understand very well, what you're writing! My english isn't the best, too, but it is still better than my norwegian. Reading norwegian is not that hard, but writing... Puh! I get the grammar wrong all the time! Rolling Eyes But I'm just learning for about 3 or 4 weeks, so it just can get better. Laughing
Now I'm sitting here with two dictionarys, one norwegian, one english.

But back to the "løsdrift".
I've only been to Norway in summer. We only spend 2 days in Oslo this January. What are the winters like? Are they "just" cold or do you have much storm?
Here in the flat lands of North-Germany we don't have that much snow, but especially the nights can be very cold. About -10°C. (You are smiling about that, aren't you? Wink )
The last winter was much colder than the last years. We even had enough snow to go sleighing with the horses, and that for more than one or two days!

I think, the horses have enough hair-coat to resist the winter, if they can go into a shelter, when they want to.
The only problem is the sweating. It takes hours to get a wet horse dry! I just got the tipp, to try it with a hair-dryer. Then I have put up a blanket onto her until she is cooled down again. I hope that will work!

In Germany more and more horses are kept in "løsdrift" and I think that's a very good development.

And how many hours a day is your horse outside? Is it just over the night in a box?

In the stable where I bought Luna, the horses where kept in stands, with the windows too high to look out and without paddocks and "beite" (too lazy to look up the english word Wink ) for the ridingschool-horses. Now Luna is in a "løsdrift" she is much more happy and calm!
But it would be fine with me also, if she would stay the night inside a box. I only want to be sure, that she can "live a real horses life", if you know, what I mean! Very Happy

Puh! Now thats a big text! I hope you have the patience to read it. Embarassed
Til Toppen
Vilde

InnleggSkrevet: Torsdag 02 November 2006 - 8:27    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

I totally agree with you. If I could chose between keeping my horse outside all the time or not having the chance to keep him outside at all I would definetively keep him outside all the time. But I actually prefer it the way I have it now, partly because I´m training him pretty hard and then it´s nice to have the opportunity to let him rest and be warm in the night. My horse spends all day in the forest with two other horses. They get out about 8 in the morning and comes in about 8 in the night. They also have the opportunity to be in seperate paddocks, but Oliver (that´s my fjord) gets really bored if he hasen´t got a horse-pal dureing tha day (he´s still like a baby even though he is 6 years old).

Well, back to the norwegian winter. It really depends where in Norway you live. I live in south-eastern part and I guess we got the nicest weather. But last winter we had about 1,5 m snow all winter, and the temperatures can drop ´till -25 degrees (it can get much colder north in Norway and in the inlands). But generally I guess that the cold isn´t the problem when you keep horses on "løsdrift". The problem is the wind and the rain (and you can have ALOT of this, especially if you live on the west-coast). Most of the fjords I know haven´t got the brains Smile to keep inside when the weather is bad (if the could choose). It´s much more important for them to eat than to keep dry Smile But if they can wear a "dekken" (I don´t know the english word) and if they have a shelter the like to use I cant se any harm in keeping horses in "løsdrift" in Norway all year. As previously mentioned I myself like to keep them inside at night, but I guess that´s just for my own sake.

I haven´t written this much in english for several years. I´m totally exhausted Smile
Til Toppen
Freddi

InnleggSkrevet: Torsdag 02 November 2006 - 18:58    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

Vilde skrev:

I haven´t written this much in english for several years. I´m totally exhausted Smile

Me too! Smile

The horses in our stable go into the shelter when it is cold AND rainy. If it is just cold OR rainy, they prefer their "beite".

Maybe if I took Luna to Norway, I will have to keep her in a box over night, too. I don't know if she could deal with the much lower temperatures. Especially when it is every night. We have such low temperatures only a few times (or at no time) during the winter. But when I think of her "teddy-fur" Smile it probably will work.
Til Toppen
Vilde

InnleggSkrevet: Torsdag 02 November 2006 - 21:08    Tittel: Svar med Sitat

Yeah they really know how to "fur" themselves don´t they Smile I don´t think they freeze that easy really. Look like icebear Smile
Til Toppen
Vis Innlegg fra:   
Start Nytt Tema   Svar på Tema    Fjordhest.net Forum Hovedsiden » Fjordhorse in English Alle klokkeslett er CET (Europa)
Side 1 av 1

Gå Til:  
Du kan ikke starte nye temaer i dette forumet
Du kan ikke svare på temaer i dette forumet
Du kan ikke endre dine egne innlegg i dette forumet
Du kan ikke slette dine egne innlegg i dette forumet
Du kan ikke delta i avstemninger i dette forumet